Town Hall and Clun Museum
CLUN TOWN HALL The ground floor, which now houses the Museum, was once an open jail where prisoners were chained before being taken away for trial. Later the ground floor arches were filled in and it became a market hall, but the cobbled floor still remains. Outside on the wall facing the Square, by the telephone box, hangs the coat of arms of the Earls of Powis - the elephant representing the coat of arms of Clive of India whose son married into the Powis family.
The Museum is run by the Clun Town Trust, registered with the Charities Commission on 16 May 1924 to "administer and manage . ... . . two silver maces, formerly belonging to the dissolved Corporation of the Bailiffs and Burgesses of the Borough of Clun, in the County of Salop". There are four trustees and those serving at present are: Mr Bill Rowe, Mr Kent Tomey, and Mrs Jane Kent with one vacancy. After much hard work the museum received provisional accreditation under the Museums, Libraries and Archives Accreditation Scheme. Work is in progress for full accreditation during the next nine months..
On 19th May 1935 the tenancy of the lower Town Hall was reported to have been approved and agreed. Mr Tom Hamar was the leading collector and custodian for the Museum and was joined on the Trust in 1951 by another avid collector, Mr Beardsley.
Clun Museum houses a multitude of local historical and agricultural artefacts and possesses an important collection of flints. The two silver maces of the Borough of Clun, dating back to Elizabethan times (1580 & 1620) together with the Seal (1637) are displayed on Bank Holidays.
The Museum opened the first floor of the Town Hall at Easter 2004, thus doubling their display area. Amongst other things this has enabled a new section devoted to the 2nd World War (1939-1945) to be mounted together with some artefacts from the 1st World War (1914-1918). Items formerly in store have been put on display and the ground floor exhibition rationalised. e.g. Did you know that a railway line was proposed from Craven Arms to Newcastle-on-Clun? Come and see the plans. Half of the floor area has been left free to accommodate visiting exhibitions and demonstrations.. The gallery is monitored from the ground by the voluntary Stewards (of whom there are now 45) through a CCTV system.
We are fully equipped to welcome partially sighted and blind visitors, through the good offices of the Dog Rose Trust and South Shropshire District Council Access Group. There are two audio guides together with two large print and two Braille Guides to the Museum and an illuminated tactile map of Clun.
Admission is 50 pence for adults and free to those aged 16 years and under. School Parties, Historical and U3A Clubs have been and are welcomed by arrangement, and the Museum opened by request.
Directions and Parking The museum is located in the centre of Clun in the Square. The directions and car park facilities can be found by downloading the Clun Town Trail Leaflet which contains a detailed map of Clun including car parks. The Bridge Car Park becomes overcrowded especially during the Summer and we recommend that you park at the Memorial Hall Car Park in the Recreation Ground. It is only a short walk from there to the centre of Clun.
Curator: J Kent Tomey email: